In my two months off before starting medical school I decided to reupholster a chair. I bought a used ikea chair from a coworker and put my 9th grade sewing class skills to work.
First, I took apart the existing cover and carefully labelled each piece to make a pattern and estimate how much fabric I would need.
Next came the fun part of picking out a fabric! I went to a local fabric store and wasted about two hours looking at every durable fabric and texting Lauren to see which she liked best. We (eventually) decided to go with this green and white medium scale print. I needed four yards of fabric which was only $21 because of some absurdly amazing store wide sale and mama Rainer's coupons :)
Laying out the pattern and pinning and cutting and unpinning and pinning over and over again...
The moment I realized that sewing a pillow or a laundry bag do NOT qualify you to reupholster a chair or even thread a bobbin. Thanks to Sydney, my youngest sister, for catching the moment of defeat on camera.
(much later) I got my act together and very carefully learned how to sew around contours and put in a zipper. At the end of two weeks the chair turned out pretty well